Today's iPad "show"... my thoughts... few words come to mind:
- iPad - cute name, but i think iSlate would have been cooler. What about iTablet with a whole Moses tie in of biblical proportions? Yes, I get the whole iPod, iPad thing, but the name makes it all too easy to do what I'm about to do...
- iSad - what I was after realizing there was not "one more thing" and that iPad was all that we were going to get from Apple today (other than a few tweaks of their software). Also iSad = the Kindle and other ebook readers... all about to become extinct with a pretty good price point offered on Apple's version of a "kindle" that has received it's glorified body. :-)
- iRad - what the iPad could have been if Apple had been a little more forward thinking and listened to the wishes and dreams of users. And believe me there was no lack of wish lists floating around cyberspace on the subject of an Apple tablet. Unfortunately the iPad "show" (IMHO) did not live up to all the hype. I guess we can all dream of the Summer refresh hinted at today.
- iGlad - AT&T executives, upon receiving yet another reprieve from losing their sweet Apple exclusivity deal with Stevie baby. Did you hear the sigh of relieve coming from AT&T headquarters?
- iMad - what many of us were after realizing that (1) the 3G version of this thing will be tied (at least for the foreseeable future) to AT&T and (2) the "one more thing" that many of us hoped for was not going to happen - i.e., a refresh of the iPhone line with the option of getting one from Verizon!! Did you hear the groans from all the Verizon customers waiting to get their hands on an iPhone as well as the groans from all those locked into AT&T and tired of horrible service? Huddled masses yearning to be free (from AT&T)! Yes, Mr. Jobs, there's a MAP for that!!!
- iBad - not offering the thing for less money on a 3G network... what happened to subsidizing the cost of new equipment? Shouldn't you get a break if you sign up for (subpar) 3G service with AT&T? Instead, you'll get to pay more for your iPad if you want 3G connectivity. That makes no sense. Also in the iBad category - not having it available today... how long have we been waiting for this thing? How long have the rumors been circulating? In the Apple hay-day, you'd hear the words, "and it's available TODAY" (instead of 60-90 days after the big event), right before you heard, "and one more thing." I guess those days are over... which brings me back to iSad.
- iFad? probably not. There are too many addicted to having Apple's latest gizmo for this thing to be a fad. It probably will eventually change the way we use technology and computers and read magazines and newspapers - the latter being 2 things that may go the way of the dinosaur if Apple has it's way. I'll wait until the next refresh at least before being tempted - let them work out the bugs and add a few more cool features. Let the early adopters pay for the R&D and be real time beta testers. Which begs the question, how will they push updates to this thing - I guess via the iTunes store like they do with our iPods.